About Me

My photo
United States
“Any attempt at alienating the children from the other parent should be seen as a direct and willful violation of one of the prime duties of parenthood” - J. Michael Bone and Michael R. Walsh, authors of “Parental Alienation Syndrome:
 How to Detect It and What to Do About It”
-http://www.divorcesource.com. ---I am a mom who has survived Parental Alienation, It lasted 10 years. During those years of hopelessness, I started this blog to talk and share my feelings with my daughter. This was the only way for me to be heard, I shared my struggle and feelings. It helped me to heal, slowly. But more than that; it's become a platform for me, as I learn more about this epidemic, to inspire someone who might also be dealing with it. I hope my testimony and experience will help others survive when they feel like giving up. Don't give up, keep fighting and give it to God. It is the only thing that keeps me moving forward each day.

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Family Trauma Pathology..... excuse me what??

I read the most interesting post today on Facebook. The topic was Family Trauma Pathology, essentially what it said was this: "Families are the rippling of complex trauma from one generation to the next"
The Alienating Parent or Allied Parent has unresolved childhood trauma, which transfers to the child by their parenting practices.

Let's face it, parenting is not easy and most of us mimick our own parents when it comes to parenting our own children. While I know this is true in a lot of cases, I also now know, after years of my children being in therapy, that most of us can get by with parenting 101, but when faced with things such as parental alienation (PA), we absolutely do not know what the hell we are doing. I was told by my daughter's therapist, that dealing with my 13-year-olds feelings about me is complex...yeah, ya think? I was in shock, blindsided and in fear of losing my daughter, and all I hear is my skills as a parent are not sufficient in this case. Needless to say, this particular therapist, did not do me any favors. This "professional" did not believe or know that this was a case of parental alienation? If she had why would she blame my parenting?

There are so many sources and groups and a wealth of information on this topic today, but where was all of this information 12 years ago, when I really needed it? I went through stages, that ranged anywhere from panic to grief and eventually, loss. I had no idea what PA was, nor had any professional I spoke with, including a reunification therapist we were assigned to, this was not something that I'd ever heard of or been told about. A mediator in the Santa Clara Family Court system once told me, I should just give up legal custody of my daughter since I didn't have physical custody of her anyway. WHAT? Are you kidding me?
YES... her father actually tried to get me to give up my parental rights Legal and Physical. I said "HELL NO" and fought to keep legal custody. Even though that didn't change anything, I wanted to prove to my daughter, someday, that I fought like hell for her. Today I can tell her that story and for that, I am so grateful.

It's my hope that even one person out there reading this or going through this pain, can continue to get educated on PA and learn about why it happens and that your pain not go unnoticed. Keep fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith over Fear

Since my last post, I have flown 3000 miles across the US to see my son. He had no idea I was coming, but I still went to try to get his att...